Parmesan Cheese Sablés
To make about 30, using a 5cm round cutter, slightly less using a heart shaped cutter
These are extremely easy to make, and well worth the effort. It takes no time to make a large batch and keep in the deep freeze until needed. They are perfect with pre-dinner drinks.For a Valentine’s Day celebration, cut the cheese pastry into heart shapes. These are the ideal nibble to go with Champagne, so they make the perfect wedding canapé. I also love them with a good dry Martini http://cookupaparty.co.uk/how-to-make-the-perfect-martini. Bliss. Happy Valentine’s Day!
100g plain flour
Pinch each of salt, black pepper and cayenne
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
90g unsalted butter
90g grated Parmesan or Grana Padano
1 egg beaten to glaze Small handful of poppy seeds or sesame seeds
1. Sift flour into a bowl or food processor and add the salt, pepper, cayenne and mustard powder.
2. Add the butter and rub in or blend until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the cheese and mix the dough together until smooth. If should be soft and pliable.
4. Chill for 30 minutes, and then turn out onto a floured surface.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 190C/385F/Gas 5. Gently roll out to a thickness of 1cm. Using a round or heart-shaped cutter, press out the shapes and brush with the egg glaze.
6. Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds and place on a flat baking sheet. Bake for approx 12-15 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown, and cool on a wire rack