To serve 4-6
500g carrots, washed and peeled
2 Tbs olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 spring onions, washed and finely chopped
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp chopped dill
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
100g grated Parmesan
50g brown rice flour (or used fresh white breadcrumbs)
2 medium free-range eggs
vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 200/C180 F/Gas
- Cut the carrots into even chunks and place in a roasting. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook for about 20 minutes until al dente – neither too soft, nor too hard – and leave to cool.
- Grate the carrots into a mixing bowl and mix with the spring onions, paprika,dill and parsley.
- Add the Parmesan, brown rice flour and egg and mix well. Leave to chill for an hour to firm up the mixture.
- Remove from the fridge and shape into 16-18 walnut size balls and dust with brown rice flour to shape into flat patties.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry over a medium heat, turning over half way through. Cook in batches and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve straight away with some plain yoghurt with dill chopped into it and the simple grated carrot salad, as below.
Carrot and Pomegranate salad
3-4 large carrots, peeled and coarsly grated
4 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
seeds of one pomegranate
1 Tbs pomegranate molasses.
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients together, just before serving.